Thierry's Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Killing and Cleaning

Go down

Killing and Cleaning Empty Killing and Cleaning

It was time for cleaning again, and during this cleaning some tasks needed to be done.

The cleaning started with the killing of Majano Anemones. We had them some time ago, injected them with boiling water and never saw them again, until lately we started to discover more and more all over the aquarium. Time for another round of injecting them with boiling water.
I did do some research first, see if the Majano Anemone has, just like his Glass Anemone “friend”, any natural enemies. Unfortunately this list is very limited and the risks with corals and invertebrates are very high, these options are the Tasseled Filefish and Raccoon Butterflies.
Other option is chemical warfare. Using Joes Juice or Aiptasia-X seems to work for some, then again, other people have no luck with them. Since I don’t want to use any chemicals unless I have absolutely no other options…this one is off the list.
Mechanical removal, using forceps could work, but is very tricky. Leaving the smallest piece behind will cause a new one to appear. Too much risk of failure for me.
Boiling water or Kalk Juice/Paste. Both work with a syringe filled with either boiling water or Kalk Juice and inject it into the anemone’s head or neck.
Another option I found is placing something on top of the anemone, piece of Life Rock or a shell. This will cause the anemone to climb up, and then you can remove the LR or shell with the anemone on it.

Here is what I had to deal with. Three of them (noticed four actually when injecting) next to the soft coral. Injected them all with a syringe filled with boiling water, haven’t seen them return.
Killing and Cleaning DSC04249

Then one on the rock with the Green Star Polyps. Also injected and haven’t seen it come back either.
Killing and Cleaning DSC04250
before
Killing and Cleaning DSC04252
after

Another one in the triangle between the buttons, Cabbage leather and frogspawn coral. This one is hard to get, couldn’t get a good shot at him so he is still there.
Killing and Cleaning DSC04251

And two more located near the starburst polyps on the right side of the aquarium. Both injected with success.

Then while cleaning I bumped off a rock in the starburst polyp field. This was the original rock we got in the beginning. So maybe we can pass it onto the next person who then can create his own field with it. We do have a hole left now, but I’m sure it will close up soon.
Killing and Cleaning DSC04253

I also cut off the Kenya Tree located underneath the orange buttons. It was messing with the buttons too much. There is still a piece remaining, so I’m sure it will grow back. But till then the buttons can grow again, and by that time hopefully I don’t have any Kenya Tree fragments left.
Killing and Cleaning DSC04258

The clownfish have laid eggs again, yesterday we spotted a whole spot of yellow/gold bubbles. It will probably go to waste again, since we still have nothing to put them. But I do believe we have some time to get them. Not sure what we are going to do yet.
Killing and Cleaning DSC04257

And last but not least I replaced another light tube. We’re halfway done now with the replacement.
thierry
thierry

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit