Thierry's Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stomatella varia (Stomatella Snail)

Go down

Stomatella varia (Stomatella Snail) Empty Stomatella varia (Stomatella Snail)

Post  thierry Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:17 am

Source Reeflex.net

QUICK STATS
  • Care Level: Very Easy
  • Reef Compatible: Yes
  • Water Conditions: 71.6 °F - 84.2 °F (22°C - 29°C)
  • Max. Size: Up to 2 cm
  • Diet: Algae
  • Origin: Pacific
  • Family: Trochidae

Stomatella look like a cross between a snail and slug. Their shell is fairly flat and inconspicuous compared to most snails. They are brownish green in color and seem to stay under about 3/4" in length. Stomatella can move very quickly for a snail.
Stomatella are good additions to the reef tank. They are herbivores and feed upon micro algae in the reef tank.
Stomatella are active day or night, but come out mostly at night and are fairly secretive during the day. A look at the tank walls after dark with a flashlight will usually spot this critters if they are present in the tank. They will reproduce in the reef tank, but don't seem to reach nuisance population levels. Breeding has been observed during the daytime with all individuals climbing up to high points on the live rock and simultaneously releasing their eggs and sperm into the water. This can cause the tank water to look milky for a short time, but is nothing to worry about. The filter feeders get to eat well when this occurs.

Last edited by thierry on Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
thierry
thierry

Back to top Go down

Stomatella varia (Stomatella Snail) Empty Looking for name

Post  thierry Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:21 am

Found this little snail crawling on one of the life rocks that I wanted to remove. I got him of and moved him into the sump. I haven't seen him since, but I'm sure he is still in there somewhere.
Stomatella varia (Stomatella Snail) DSC04449
Stomatella varia (Stomatella Snail) DSC04450
Stomatella varia (Stomatella Snail) DSC04451
thierry
thierry

Back to top Go down

Stomatella varia (Stomatella Snail) Empty Identified

Post  thierry Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:45 pm

Two people identified this snail as being an Stomatella varia or Stomatella Snail.
thierry
thierry

Back to top Go down

Stomatella varia (Stomatella Snail) Empty Re: Stomatella varia (Stomatella Snail)

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down