Thierry's Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anemonia majano (Majano Anemone)

Go down

Anemonia majano (Majano Anemone) Empty Anemonia majano (Majano Anemone)

Post  thierry Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:15 pm

Source: aquaduo.nl

QUICK STATS
  • Care Level: Easy
  • Reef Compatible: No, will overgrow
  • Max. Size: 3 cm

Why the Majano Anemone (deelanemoon in Dutch) is a plague? This is because they spread fast and sting very hard.
They can be injected with boiling water, use a needle and try to inject the anemone full in it’s “head” or “neck”.
Some examples of fish that have the Majano Anemone on their menu: Acreichthys tomentosus (Matted Filefish) and the Aluterus Scriptus (Scrawled Filefish). Be sure they fit in your fish population.
Majano Anemones come is different colours.

Last edited by thierry on Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
thierry
thierry

Back to top Go down

Anemonia majano (Majano Anemone) Empty Back from vacation

Post  thierry Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:16 pm

A new anemone like creature appeared on the rocks. No idea yet what it is, looks like a bubble anemone. Going to check on the forums what they think it is, or if anyone reading this has any idea…
Anemonia majano (Majano Anemone) DSC03864
thierry
thierry

Back to top Go down

Anemonia majano (Majano Anemone) Empty Found the name/species

Post  thierry Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:54 am

It turns out to be a Majano Anemone or in dutch Deelanemoon. Another plague anemone just like the Sea Anemones we already had. An option now would really be a Filefish, since they tend to eat both species (unfortunately also small corals Sad )
The reactions on the 2 seaforums I'm on are very clear at least, I tried to translate them as good as possible:

Jordy wrote:Dit zijn deelannemonen, zo snel mogelijk verwijderen, dit wordt een serieuze plaag!
These are Majano Anemones, remove as quickly as possible, they will become a serious plague!

Herpen Online wrote:Aptaisia X van red sea weet wel raad met deze anemoontjes tevens werkt het zeer goed met glasrozen.
Red Sea's Aptaisia X knows how to deal with these anemones and also works very well with Sea Anemones

greyman wrote:of azijn, ik heb ze in een keer spuiten verwijderd met kokende azijn in een
spuit en goed injecteren, gaan direkt dood en goedkoop

greyman
Or Vinegar, I removed them once with boiling vinegar and a needle, inject them well and they die directly and it's cheap

And on the other forum:
Jan de Groot wrote:Deelanemoon!!!!! Als je er maar 1 hebt meteen verwijderen

want je wordt er gek van. Injectie met azijn of de steen er eruit. Kan echt een drama worden!
Majano Anemone!!! If you only have one remove it directly because it will drive you mad. Inject with Vinegar or remove the rock. It can turn out to be a drama!

oezie wrote:Weg dr mee!
Remove it

a.romijn wrote:Idd deelanemoon
Majano Anemone indeed
thierry
thierry

Back to top Go down

Anemonia majano (Majano Anemone) Empty New mushrooms

Post  thierry Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:28 pm

Anemonia majano (Majano Anemone) DSC03934
thierry
thierry

Back to top Go down

Anemonia majano (Majano Anemone) Empty Attack

Post  thierry Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:58 pm

Yesterday my wife injected the anemones with boiling water. Hopefully this will make an end to their lives.
thierry
thierry

Back to top Go down

Anemonia majano (Majano Anemone) Empty Bought Firefish and 2 Peppermint Shrimps

Post  thierry Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:40 am

Two of the three are still alive, but it was hard to inject them with the clownfish attacking all the time
Anemonia majano (Majano Anemone) DSC03969
thierry
thierry

Back to top Go down

Anemonia majano (Majano Anemone) Empty Cleaning november 2010

Post  thierry Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:19 pm

We discovered several more, one near the two already there and 2 near the Xenia. We where able to kill all of them except for one, that one is between the Halimeda and is hard to reach.
Anemonia majano (Majano Anemone) DSC04061
thierry
thierry

Back to top Go down

Anemonia majano (Majano Anemone) Empty Cleaning - End of Aiptasia?

Post  thierry Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:40 am

During the cleaning yesterday I had another attempt at the Majano anemones. They have been sighted everywhere in the aquarium now. Underneath the Kenya tree coral in the middle, between the star polyps and Xenia and of course still above the Encrusted Gorgonian. Don’t know if I got them at all, time will tell.
thierry
thierry

Back to top Go down

Anemonia majano (Majano Anemone) Empty Happy New Year 2011

Post  thierry Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:22 pm

Still one visible.
Anemonia majano (Majano Anemone) DSC04201
thierry
thierry

Back to top Go down

Anemonia majano (Majano Anemone) Empty Killing and cleaning

Post  thierry Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:39 pm

The cleaning started with the killing of Majano Anemones. We had them some time ago, injected them with boiling water and never saw them again, until lately we started to discover more and more all over the aquarium. Time for another round of injecting them with boiling water.
I did do some research first, see if the Majano Anemone has, just like his Glass Anemone “friend”, any natural enemies. Unfortunately this list is very limited and the risks with corals and invertebrates are very high, these options are the Tasseled Filefish and Raccoon Butterflies.
Other option is chemical warfare. Using Joes Juice or Aiptasia-X seems to work for some, then again, other people have no luck with them. Since I don’t want to use any chemicals unless I have absolutely no other options…this one is off the list.
Mechanical removal, using forceps could work, but is very tricky. Leaving the smallest piece behind will cause a new one to appear. Too much risk of failure for me.
Boiling water or Kalk Juice/Paste. Both work with a syringe filled with either boiling water or Kalk Juice and inject it into the anemone’s head or neck.
Another option I found is placing something on top of the anemone, piece of Life Rock or a shell. This will cause the anemone to climb up, and then you can remove the LR or shell with the anemone on it.

Here is what I had to deal with. Three of them (noticed four actually when injecting) next to the soft coral. Injected them all with a syringe filled with boiling water, haven’t seen them return.
Anemonia majano (Majano Anemone) DSC04249

Then one on the rock with the Green Star Polyps. Also injected and haven’t seen it come back either.
Anemonia majano (Majano Anemone) DSC04250
before
Anemonia majano (Majano Anemone) DSC04252
after

Another one in the triangle between the buttons, Cabbage leather and frogspawn coral. This one is hard to get, couldn’t get a good shot at him so he is still there.
Anemonia majano (Majano Anemone) DSC04251

And two more located near the starburst polyps on the right side of the aquarium. Both injected with success.
thierry
thierry

Back to top Go down

Anemonia majano (Majano Anemone) Empty Re: Anemonia majano (Majano Anemone)

Post  thierry Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:57 am

Anemonia majano (Majano Anemone) DSC04527
thierry
thierry

Back to top Go down

Anemonia majano (Majano Anemone) Empty Re: Anemonia majano (Majano Anemone)

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down