Thierry's Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Windows 7 automatic log onto a domain.

Go down

Windows 7 automatic log onto a domain. Empty Windows 7 automatic log onto a domain.

Another work related issue I ran into. For Windows XP you have this great tool called TweakUI which helps you set an auto login for Windows. It can be used on domains as well as local. For Windows 7 however, such a tool doesn’t exist. So how do I get my Windows 7 pc to automatically log onto the domain?

To do this you need to mess around in the registry a bit. So click Start and go to Run. Type regedit and press the OK button.

Find the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon.

Now double click on the DefaultUserName entry and type the user name you want to log in with. If the value doesn’t exist, create a new String Value (REG_SZ) with that name.
Next go to the DefaultPassword entry and type the password for the user account in the box. Again, if it doesn’t exist, create a new String Value (REG_SZ) with that name.
And then we go to the DefaultDomainName entry and type the name for the domain. And yet again, if it doesn’t exist, create it Smile.
On my pc all three didn’t exist yet, so it isn’t strange that you would have to create all three.
Last we go to the AutoAdminLogon entry, this is default set to 0, change this to 1. If this doesn’t exist you need to create it. It did exist on my pc.

If there is an entry called AutoLogonCount you need to delete this. Then close regedit and restart the pc. If you have done everything correctly you should automatically be logged on with the account you specified earlier. Hope this helps! And as always, if you have any questions, let me know.
thierry
thierry

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum