Thierry's Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Plagues and unwanted guests

Go down

Plagues and unwanted guests Empty Plagues and unwanted guests

An update mainly on plagues and unwanted inhabitants. Let’s start with some algae!

The Sea Pearls seem to be gone now, guess the Foxface does eat them, or we have another inhabitant who enjoys this algae. Only one bubble was seen on the rock with Xenia en Mushrooms.

Unfortunately we now have a lot of red hair algae, which is coming to the point that I think we should do something about it. Expect a topic on it sometime soon on the forums.
Plagues and unwanted guests DSC03996

Then there is the unwanted invertebrates. The sea anemones seem to be under control with the peppermint shrimps, haven’t seen any new ones yet. Unfortunately the old ones are still there, and growing larger each time. Maybe next weekend we will try something, but everything depends on something I will mention later on.

The Majano Anemones have one more in the colony, they started out with three, my wife killed on of them, but now there is one next to the Xenia all of a sudden. Same as above, maybe next weekend try to kill it.

Then a “new” inhabitant are the Asterina starfishes. We keep fishing them out each time but they still keep coming. Also on these little bastards you can expect a topic on the forums soon, first need to gather some more information on them.

And then the last plague is one that I am absolutely not happy with! Our Blue Tang seems to have white-spot parasites. More information on how and what will come soon when we start treatment and when I know more about it. Unfortunately or luckily when I wanted to take a picture there was no spot to be seen.
Plagues and unwanted guests DSC03991

But there is also some good news for the corals. The striped mushroom I got a while ago has attached itself to a small piece of rock I put in a small glass. I now put it where I wanted it and it can’t blow away anymore because the rock it to heavy Smile
Plagues and unwanted guests DSC03998

Monday I also noticed one of the small brownish mushrooms I got together with the striped one appeared all of a sudden next to the soft coral. Also it seems one of them is in between the purple mushrooms above the first one spotted. Looks like we have three of them again now Smile
Plagues and unwanted guests DSC03997

The new Kenya tree had 2 blown up pieces on it. When I looked at it more closely couple of days ago I noticed they where almost unattached from the host. I removed both parts and put them in the glass where the striped mushroom was in before. I don’t know if this is ideal for them, so work started on a fragment tank. One of them already attached to a small piece of rock, the other one attached itself to the glass. Here is the one I already got attached to the rock.
Plagues and unwanted guests DSC03994

Monday I bought a new pump for the fragment tank, the small 60 liter aquarium will only have couple of small rocks in it and I will dump all lose corals in there for them to attach to some rock. When they have attached I think of putting them in the Red Sea Max again so they can get some good conditions to grow before they get sold/traded or get another destination.

thierry
thierry

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum