Thierry's Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Create a custom XP SP 3 cd

Go down

Create a custom XP SP 3 cd Empty Create a custom XP SP 3 cd

When I started working at my current job there where no XP cd's available. We had one on the server but it wasn't bootable and only featured SP2. So I decided to make it bootable and add SP3 to it. And who knows, maybe I will try to add some more in a later stage Smile

Integrating SP3 onto the files for cd

Copied all the files that where available from the SP2 cd to a new folder. Downloaded SP3 from the Microsoft site and downloaded a bootsector for Windows cd’s from http://www.nu2.nu/download.php?sFile=wxp10.zip.

Next we create a textfile with just the word “Windows” in it, without the quote’s. Also make sure it starts with a capitol “W”. End it with pressing the space button and after that hit enter creating a new line. According to http://www.howtohaven.com/system/createwindowssetupdisk.shtml this is vital and the setup will give an error if you don’t do this exactly. Didn’t feel like trying, since my cd already came with this files. Anyway, when you have done this, save the file as "WIN51". If you include the quotes Notepad will not add de *.txt extension to the file.

The next part I have copied literally from howtohaven, since it is a clear description of what to do in which situation.

If your PC or laptop originally came with XP Home, make a copy of the file you just created and call it "WIN51IC". If you are using XP Home Service Pack 1 (SP 1), make two copies of the file and call them "WIN51IC" and "WIN51IC.SP1". If you are using XP Home Service Pack 2 (SP 2), make three copies of the file and call them "WIN51IC", "WIN51IC.SP1" and "WIN51IC.SP2". All the copies of the files should be in C:\XPSETUP.

If your PC or laptop originally came with XP Professional, make a copy of the file you just created and call it "WIN51IP". If you are using XP Professional Service Pack 1 (SP 1), make two copies of the file and call them "WIN51IP" and "WIN51IP.SP1". If you are using XP Professional Service Pack 2 (SP 2), make three copies of the file and call them "WIN51IP", "WIN51IP.SP1" and "WIN51IP.SP2". All the copies of the files should be in C:\XPSETUP.

Since that my basis now is SP2, I will need to slipstream SP3 into the setup and create a “WIN51IC.SP3” in my cd-root folder.
Like I said earlier, I have downloaded SP3 from the Microsoft. Now I have copied both the folder used for the cd and the SP3 executable to c:\tmp to make the following steps easier. Also renamed the SP 3 executable from WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-NLD.exe to sp3.exe to make things easier.
Now we will need to update the I386 folder with the new SP3 files. To do this we start the command prompt through Start -> Run -> CMD. Now we type in the DOS box the following line:
Code:
c:\tmp\sp3.exe /integrate:C:\tmp\XPSP3_Setup
After this we press the enter key an extracting window will appear, shortly after that you will get the Software Update Installation Wizard. The SP3 files are now inserted into the installation, and when we press OK when it is finished you will see some new files like an SP3.cad in the I386 folder.

Burn the cd using Nero

Select new cd and select CD-ROM (boot). On the Boot tab select the .bin file that comes with the earlier mentioned wxp10.zip. Select the Advanced options and make sure Kind of emulation is set to No emulation (forgot this and got a Cannot boot from CD – Code: 4). Also you need to change the Load segment of sectors (Hex!) to 0000 and the Number of loaded sectors to 4 (forgot this also, and got a Cannot boot from CD – Code:5). On the Label tab add a label, whichever you like. I chose for WXPSP3 on this one. Finally press the New button.
When Nero appears drag all the files created in the previous step and drop them on the cd and press burn.
thierry
thierry

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum