Thierry's Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Actinodiscus sp. (Purple and Red Mushroom)

Go down

Actinodiscus sp. (Purple and Red Mushroom) Empty Actinodiscus sp. (Purple and Red Mushroom)

Post  thierry Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:09 pm

Source: liveaquaria.com

QUICK STATS
  • Care Level: Easy
  • Temperament: Semi-aggressive
  • Lighting: Moderate
  • Waterflow: Low to Medium
  • Placement: All
  • Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.023-1.025
  • Color Form: Blue, Purple, Green
  • Origin: Indonesia
  • Family: Actinodiscidae/Discosomatidae
  • Insert Date: 4 november 2010

The Actinodiscus Mushrooms are also referred to as Mushroom Anemones and Disc Anemones. They were previously in a genus called Discosoma. These invertebrates display a wide variety of colors, textures, and patterns. Some are solid colors, such as the blue specimen pictured above, whereas, others are striped or spotted. The taxonomy of the various species is in a state of flux, and will probably continue to change.
They are hardy and moderately easy to maintain, and under the right conditions, will multiply and spread very rapidly. In general, they need a medium light level, and should be placed lower in the tank if the light intensity is high. The Actinodiscus Mushrooms prefer a low to medium water flow within the aquarium, although different species may have different requirements. They are semi-aggressive and require adequate space between themselves and other corals and sessile invertebrates. Each ships as several individual mushrooms attached to one rock.

An Actinodiscus Mushrooom receives some of its nutritional requirements through the photosynthesis of the symbiotic algae zooxanthellae which it hosts. It also feeds on other nutrients and particulate matter and benefits from additional food in the form of micro-plankton or brine shrimp fed to each polyp of the colony.

Last edited by thierry on Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
thierry
thierry

Back to top Go down

Actinodiscus sp. (Purple and Red Mushroom) Empty Cleaning november 2010

Post  thierry Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:38 pm

This mushroom originally came from this rock, I used a sharp knife to cut it lose. I put the knife directly on the rock (or as close as possible at least) and it seemed to have gone fine. On the rock a small purple point is already visible again (new one growing there?) and this one already attached to a new rock that it shares with a red mushroom and hopefully soon a red/brown mushroom. Currently still in a shot glass in the RSM.
Actinodiscus sp. (Purple and Red Mushroom) DSC04036
thierry
thierry

Back to top Go down

Actinodiscus sp. (Purple and Red Mushroom) Empty Coral Sold

Post  thierry Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:16 am

Yesterday I sold my first 2 fragments. The rock with the biggest Kenya Tree fragment was sold and the rock with the 2 mushrooms on it. All together for 15 euro’s, 5 for each, not bad Smile.
I sold them to BvN, a member from Het Nederlands en Belgisch zeewateraquarium. I already got a reply from him that he had placed them in the aquarium.
BvN wrote:Tnx Smile De oortjes en keniaboom hebben ondertussen ook een plekje Smile
Thanks. The mushrooms and Kenya Tree have found a spot now as well.

Hopefully we will see some pictures soon in his journal on the forum. He does keep a journal with pictures, so I’m pretty sure we haven’t seen the last of them.

This topic will continue on both mushrooms, so basicly the whole rock.
thierry
thierry

Back to top Go down

Actinodiscus sp. (Purple and Red Mushroom) Empty First pictures from new home

Post  thierry Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:54 pm

A picture appeared of the coral in it's new environment.
Actinodiscus sp. (Purple and Red Mushroom) 01320c10
thierry
thierry

Back to top Go down

Actinodiscus sp. (Purple and Red Mushroom) Empty Overview of the aquarium

Post  thierry Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:33 pm

Mushrooms seem to be doing great. They are located on the left pillar at the bottom.
Actinodiscus sp. (Purple and Red Mushroom) 02010
thierry
thierry

Back to top Go down

Actinodiscus sp. (Purple and Red Mushroom) Empty Re: Actinodiscus sp. (Purple and Red Mushroom)

Post  thierry Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:03 pm

The aquarium is now running for 8 weeks and he put some pictures and a movie online showing how it looks now.
Actinodiscus sp. (Purple and Red Mushroom) 02420c10
thierry
thierry

Back to top Go down

Actinodiscus sp. (Purple and Red Mushroom) Empty Re: Actinodiscus sp. (Purple and Red Mushroom)

Post  thierry Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:00 pm

Actinodiscus sp. (Purple and Red Mushroom) 01220c10Actinodiscus sp. (Purple and Red Mushroom) 01420c10

thierry
thierry

Back to top Go down

Actinodiscus sp. (Purple and Red Mushroom) Empty Update

Post  thierry Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:46 pm

His aquarium is running fine, the purple mushroom split now.
Actinodiscus sp. (Purple and Red Mushroom) 01220c12
And an overview:
Actinodiscus sp. (Purple and Red Mushroom) Img_0510
thierry
thierry

Back to top Go down

Actinodiscus sp. (Purple and Red Mushroom) Empty Update and new picture/movie

Post  thierry Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:24 am

Looks like he changed his aquarium around a bit again. Both corals I sold him still doing very well.
Actinodiscus sp. (Purple and Red Mushroom) 03010

thierry
thierry

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down